Cynthia R. Boyle MA, LMHC, NCC
Iowa Licensed Mental Health Counselor #001289
National Certified Counselor #226830
722 Water St., Suite 407
Waterloo, IA 50703
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA (2007-2008)
- University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA (2007)
Awarded MA in Mental Health Counseling; GPA 3.8
- University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA (2004)
Awarded BA in Psychology; minor in Ethics
- Executive Boardmember of Birthright of Black Hawk County (2009-current)
- Professional Member of Autism Society of Iowa (2010-current)
- Professional Member of Association for Treatment and Training in the Attachment of Children (ATTACh) (2009-current)
- Professional Member American Counseling Association (2005-current)
- Professional Member American College Counseling Association (2006-current)
- President Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association (2009-2010)
- Member of North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (2006-current)
- Member of Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (2007-current)
- Professional Member of Iowa Association for Play Therapy (2007-current)
- Member of Association for Specialists in Group Work (2007-2011)
- Professional Member American Mental Health Counselors Association (2007-2011)
- Professional Member of Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association (2003-current)
- Boyle, C.R. (2012, October). A Comparison/Contrast of “Clinical Supervisor” Requirements Among Licensure Boards in the NCACES States. Poster presented at the North Central Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Self, T. & Boyle, C.R. (2012, March). Finding Their Voice: Guiding Mothers of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) from Diagnosis to Advocacy and Beyond. Paper presented at the American Counseling Association International Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Nebbe, L. & Boyle, C.R. (2011, April). The ABC’s of Animal and Nature Assisted Therapy. Paper presented at Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association Annual Conference, Des Moines, IA.
- Self, T. & Boyle, C.R. (2010, October). Borderline Personality Disorder: Quality of Care Issues on a Rural Campus. Paper presented at the American College Counseling Association Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Boyle, C.R. (2009, March). Paws and Effect: Utilizing Animal Assisted Therapy to Facilitate Social Skills Development in a Children’s Therapy Group. Poster present at the American Counseling Association International Conference, Charlotte, NC.
- Boyle, C.R., Meany-Walen, K.K., Self, T. & Sauceda, A. (2007, March). Cracking the Code: Examining a Case Study in Ethical Decision Making Using the 2005 ACA Code of Ethics. Paper presented at the American Counseling Association National Conference, Detroit, MI.
- Boyle, C.R. & Self, T. (2007, March). Learning by Doing: Utilizing a Case Study to Practice Ethical Decision Making. Poster presented at the IAMFT/IMHCA Annual Conference, Newton, IA.
- Boyle, C.R. (2008, January). Investment and Empowerment:Counseling Services for a Diverse Campus in the 21st Century. Invited address presented to faculty, staff, and students at Buena Vista University, Storm Lake, IA.
- Boyle, C.R., Meany-Walen, K.K., and Self, T. (2007, March). Case Study Analysis, Ethical Decision Making Models, and the Code of Ethics. Invited address presented at the Upsilon Nu Iota annual scholarly presentation at University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA.
- Boyle, C.R. (2007, Summer). Animal Assisted Therapy with a Childrenís Social Skills Group. Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association Newsletter, 2-4.
- TA Counseling Theory, UNI, Cedar Falls, IA
Dates: August 2006 – May 2007
Supervisor: Dr. Linda Nebbe
Description: Provided feedback to students on writing. Graded weekly theory summary papers. Available to students for assistance with understanding theories or with developing writing skills. Assisted professor by facilitating lectures as needed.
- TA Counseling Processes with Individuals, UNI, Cedar Falls, IA
Dates: August 2006 – May 2007
Supervisor: Dr. Darcie Davis-Gage
Description: Provided opportunities for students to practice counseling skills by developing a character to role play. Worked with instructor to develop character and issues she felt would best challenge students. Provided individual feedback to students and professor regarding students skills and development and growth over the course of the semester. Facilitated group processing of studentsí sessions after group had completed each session. Available to students for taping and processing sessions. Prepared end-of-semester evaluations of students and their strengths and weaknesses related to counseling.
- UNI Counseling Center, on-campus college counseling center, Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Dates: January 2006 – May 2006
Supervisor: Terry Kottman, Ph.D.
Description: Provided individual and group counseling services to University of Northern Iowa students. Worked with a variety of cases and clientele. Also provided consultation and assessment on a wide array of issues. Developed and implemented educational workshops to address the mental health needs of faculty, staff, and students on various issues relevant to the college setting, including, but not limited to: assertiveness, anger management, grief, time management, relationships, and stress management.
- Conditt Psychological Associates, private psychology practice, Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Dates: July 2006 – current
Supervisor: Paul M. Conditt, Psy.D.
Description: Work with children and parents regarding behavioral issues. Co-facilitate a weekly social skills group for children (ages 7-10). Individual counseling in private practice setting.
- Horizons, chemical dependency treatment center, Waterloo, Iowa.
Dates: August 2006 – April 2007
Description: Primary duties involved working with the family program. Obtained social histories from family members/patients and completed all necessary dictation and family paperwork involved in admitting patients into treatment. Co-facilitated family groups during the day and evening. Provided educational groups for patients and family members about chemical dependency. Provided additional individual, couples, or family counseling when helpful. Worked with patients and family members/concerned persons about understanding the unique dynamics and challenges of being involved in a relationship with chemically dependent persons, during usage and during treatment and recovery.
VOLUNTEER RELATED EXPERIENCE
- PETPALS (2008-2011)Underwent training to utilize animals in site visits witharea organizations (pre-schools, nursing homes, etc.) with dog, Piper, who has been evaluated and highly successful as an engaging, therapeutic assistant with a variety of populations.
- Birthright (2008-current)Volunteer at area Birthright offices to provide emergency/crisis pregnancy testing, counseling, and resource referral services. Service as board member for Birthright of Black Hawk County. President since 2014.
- Cedar Bend Humane Society (2008-current) Volunteer in the care and socialization of shelter animals. Foster parent animals with special needs.
- Website Coordinator Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association (2006-2010)
- Update and maintain Iowa Mental Health Counselorsí Association website. Duties include, but not limited to: attending board meetings, posting meeting minutes to website, making sure links are current and active, and managing website correspondence
- University of Iowa School Counseling Program (2007-2008)
- Provide opportunities for students to practice counseling skills by developing a character to role play. Provide individual feedback to students and professor regarding studentsí skills and development and growth over the course of the semester. Available to students for taping and processing sessions.
- Session Monitor NCACES Conference 2006 Kansas City, MO
- WLS support group, Waverly, IA (2005-2006)
Facilitated a support group for patients who have undergone weight loss surgery and dealing with issues of self-esteem, health and exercise, food cravings, and other topics unique to this experience
- Frontline, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA (2003-2005)
Grant supported UNI peer program to assist students with problems such as sexual assault, physical abuse, or stalking. Received training on peer counseling and providing direction for students to get professional help from police, counselors, and/or medical providers
- Heartland Vineyard Church, Cedar Falls, IA (2004-2006)
- Provided childcare for Saturday evening services for infants-age 5.
- Cedar Valley Food Bank, Waterloo, IA (2003-2004)
- Provided office support for people in crisis circumstances needing food. Participated in various community outreach, educational, and fundraising activities to support the food bank and its work.
- Horry County Humane Society, Myrtle Beach, SC(1991-1992)
- Provided general care for animals. Participated in community outreach and educational programs related to animal care and the humane society.
EXPERIENCE IN LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
- Founding member of UNI Chi Sigma Iota chapter (2006)
- Senior member of UNI Counseling Student Advisory Committee (2005-2007)
- Manager position with Subway (1993-1995, 1998)
- Manager position with Scotchman C-Store (1992-1993)
- President of high school orchestra (1987-1989)
- Concertmistress of junior high and high school orchestra; Concertmistress All Metro Orchestra Festival; Principal Second Violin in All Iowa State Music Festival; Principal Second Violin at University of Iowa Music Camp; Founder and First Violin of Virtuoso String Quartet (1983-1989)
- Mental Health Counselor private practice Waterloo, IA 11/08-current
Engage in individual, group, and family counseling in a private practice setting. Provide community outreach services and workshops for a variety of businesses and organizations regarding mental health issues. Provide pro bono services for underserviced, at-risk populations. Facilitate various group opportunities for clients as well as community members in the Cedar Valley area. Actively engage in providing animal assisted and play therapy counseling services.
- Publication Editor American College Counseling Association (ACCA) 2008-2012
Work with the ACCA Executive Council to develop and publish its online publication: VISIONS. Solicit current events, research and articles from EC, membership and counseling and academic community at large for publication. Edit content, design, format and produce final publication for membership listserv and website: www.collegecounseling.org/newsletter.html.
- Mental Health Counselor Conditt Psychological Svcs Cedar Falls, IA 7/07-11/08
Work with children and parents regarding behavioral issues. Co-facilitate a weekly social skills group for children (ages 7-10). Provide community outreach services and workshops on mental health issues. Engage in individual, group, and family counseling in a private practice setting.
- Graduate Assistant UNI Counseling Dept Cedar Falls, IA 08/06-05/07
Assisted first year counseling students with programmatic issues, provided feedback on counseling microskills, and provided training on APA writing style. Completed literature reviews and transcribed interviews for professorsí research. Worked to help update the GA Handbook and department website. Organized and maintained the counseling department’s internal library and resource room.
|Tracie Self, M.A.
814 Railroad St
Iowa Falls, IA 50126
|Terry Kottman, PhD
P.O. Box 1045
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
|Linda Nebbe, PhD
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
|Joan Farstad, M.A.
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0604
|Paul Conditt, PsyD
Conditt Physchological Services
715 W. First St.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
|Carol Charles-Rohlf, MA
(in loving memory)
The People Place
2302 W. 1st St. Suite 114
Cedar Falls, IA 50613